Sunday 1 February 2009

Sundays God

It's Sunday. As a child I would go to church with enthusiasm every week. It was not much different to the one I go to now except that it was in a village (this one is in a town). Most of the people there were a lot older than me and there were few youths. Now at 50 years old I'm still one of the youngest present. There are even fewer youths.
We read Pslam 111. It's not one with which I am very familiar (i.e. I don't have a remembered version). It merges with all my remembered Psalms. God makes stuff and keeps promises and can generally be relied on. From time to time things go a bit ary and babies heads get bashed against rocks. Now and again we can lament a bit or recall some particular Godly stuff. But remembered Psalms are mostly comfortably predictable: God is in keeping the laws of nature (as Bob reminded us) and we can marvel at that. So Sundays God is worth remembering any day of the week.

The God I meet on Sundays
created an ordered universe so huge and mysterious I'm still wondering about it all.
The God Imeet on Sundays
keeps age-old promises to a huddle of ageing ones and a handful of others.
The God I meet on Sundays
still causes me to lift my voice in response to all the God-stuff.
Upright or not, Sundays God, affirms me everyday.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Love the poem and I think that you would like David Ker's cyberpsalms. I'll try and send you a link