Tuesday 3 February 2009

Women

Since we had the Women in Ministries meeting in Windermere (should that be Womendermere?) I've certainly done more blogging and connected with more women this way. This has helped me feel more connected. Ministry is about connection but so often as a minister I have felt isolated: no wonder then that it has often seemed very hard. I was struck by my friends blogs: Sarah wrote very personally about a pastoral situation. Now Sarah is a wonderful woman. One I admire a lot in the calm and careful way she goes about ministry. Through her blog I feel more connected to her given that I don't see her as much since we moved to Huddersfield. I was struck by my friend Kate's blog in which she wrote about using remembered versions of the bible, Kennings and also the remembered stories of ministry. Kate is a wonderful women who's creative and warm approach to ministry I admire. Once again I found it very affirming to connect like this and see us tackling similar issues side by side even though on different sides of the Pennines. Jane's blog is always a source of inspiration and fun. For me her 'prix choc' should have been about the price of chocolate. But there's always something on her blog that reminds me of Jane's great facility with laguage and her ability to make connections across so many subjects. So here's to wonderful women.
Of course, not being Superwoman either, I know I don't find all women so affirming or all encounters with women so positive. So these words are to spur me on, to help more look at all women as I look at Sarah, Kate and Jane, and to go on trying to connect to the wonderful in all women.

Here’s to women

Here’s to women, wonderful women:
warm women, cold women,
working women, creative women,
wild women, wistful women,
watchful women, mindful women.

Here’s to women, wonderful women:
reminding me who I am,
encouraging me how to be,
waiting alongside of me,
bringing love to birth in me.

Here’s to women, wonderful women,
both known and unknown.
As the world turns
may we turn to each other
and affirm what we discover there.

No comments: