Thursday 11 June 2009

Word of the week


Hannah is trying to teach me German in advance of our visit to Germany in August. My current favourite word is bloemenkohl (this may be spelt wrong).


Some little herb plants arrived yesterday in the post. These were a free gift. I am looking forward to planting them in my garden where broad beans, lettuce, cabbage, spuds and other goodies are currently growing. Alas no bloemenkohl though.


Watch out for catterpillars. Some ate my gooseberry leaves (!). Anyone who know what those might be, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Sorry teh resident langauge police do need to correct this to Blumenkohl - but I do agree it is a lovely word - I remember harvesting them from the garden at home when I was a child - bending over teh leaves to protect the flower heart from getting too damaged

janetlees said...

Fanx for language improvement! My gooseberries seem to have been eaten by Gooseberry Saw Fly caterpillars or something like that, according to a friend of mine who looked in a book of pests (!).