Thursday 4 February 2010

More new monasticism


I've been getting more excited about new monasticsm this week. I've been reading several things about 'seven sacred spaces': places which are important to community building. These are found in both the early monastic traditions and the current 'fresh expressions' (yes I know it sounds like a coffee outlet) of monasticism.
They are:
Cell: a space for the individual to grow, pray, rest and reflect;
Chapel: a communal space for worship and liturgy
Garden: a space for physical work and the growth of what the community needs to thrive;
Refectory: an eating and serving space;
Cloister: a moving and greeting space;
Scriptorum: a sort of study/library space;
and Chapter: a sort of communal conversation space.
Some writers suggest that these spaces have now largely become individual or relegated to the private sphere. We have our own spaces and shared space is more for business and commerce, leisure and learning. But is it sacred: a place to encounter God?
Well any space could be of course. But I began by thinking about the spaces I use and their meaning to me. I agreed with some writers that Cell is now more meaningful to me than Chapel. George Lings suggests we are breeding a race of 'de-churched hermits' who do their spirituality in their private or personal space but less so in public worship and litury and chapel space, partly because our churches are not often winsome enough to do this anymore.
I think I might be a de-churched hermit. It's not a bad thing to be, but it might have it's limitations. However, it can also be very attractive. Sometimes I just don't want to leave my cell.
Of course there are other sacred spaces in our house. The corridors do act as a sort of moving and greeting space like a clositer as George also suggested - but then we have big corridors! Garden has grown in importance as a sacred space, especially in this house as it has a nice but useful garden. Refectory can be on our knee in the sitting room as often as at table in the dining room - such a common trend but it doens't mean it's not sacred.
I'm going to continue thinking about these spaces for a bit and talk to others about them. If you want to leave a comment that would be much appreciated.
God of space,
outer, inner and virtual,
space us out with your presence
that we may connect with each other
and with the earth
and make community a place
where all may live on.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Janet really loved these posts about the New Monasticism and have sent you a load of links to what Paul Fromont over on Prodigal Kiwis has been writing on the subject over the past year and more
http://prodigal.typepad.com/prodigal_kiwi/numonasticism/

Meanwhile I wodnered if you'd come across Moot - I came across them thru blogging of course - the place to meet interesting people! Maggi Dawn had some things about some of their art work - I love the idea of Free Art Friday and the word of peace being put into the community. they have a blog and a website
http://moot-blog.blogspot.com/
http://www.moot.uk.net/

Meanwhile over here in FV we are just about coming up for air - have managed to do a bit of serious sleeping - pretty good for me.