Tuesday 8 December 2009

Advent days

‘Advent is not supposed to be about ‘happiness’. It is about judgement’ said the Bishop of Repton. [1] Just goes to show what he knows about it. Seems to me quite possible that this rather limited view of it has sucked quite a lot of life from Advent already. There are many different days in Advent; some happy, some less so. But let's not rule out happy days from Day 1. And as for judgement, that's something we all need to learn: to discern when and where, as the days of Advent move from one to the next, just what the possibilities might be. Here are my prayers so far for the days of Advent 2009.

Mundane day

On a mundane day it’s easy to miss the thistledown
floating by on the breeze to settle and root elsewhere.
In commonplace spaces it’s easy to overlook
the uncommon, small and rare things under stones.
In ordinary time it’s easy to forget the extraordinary,
the celebration of sunrise that lifts me.

As tiredness seeps into me
and weariness weighs me down
it’s easier to make my litany
from a limiting list of negatives
than a liberating whisper of possibilities.

In the still moment, confirm in me
the possibility and the surprise.

JAL: for 01.12.2009
altered from 07.06.2009

Happy Day

Advent God,
As we wait out these happy days
welcome us in from the drafty doorstep
of the tomb lined garden
into the warmth of your company
to share the wine of your kindom.

JAL: 02.12.2009

Round and round the park

Round and round the park,
all three or a pair:
one lap, two laps,
then smoothie we can share.

Body-wise God,
keep us moving all our days.

JAL: 03.12.2009


Slow moving sun

All hail to you, slow moving sun
symbol of creation’s energy.
All hail to you, full setting moon
making dawn so awesome.

All hail to you, slow moving One,
plodding on with us daily.
From sunrise to sunset,
moonrise to moonset,
may we be Son-wise people.

JAL: 04.12.2009

Body days

Praise God with the gurgling tummy.
Praise God with the amputated limb.
Praise God with the cleft palate.
Praise God with the deleted chromosome.
Let every impaired one praise God.

God, you know me and my impairments.
You know what I remember and what I forget.
You know what I hear and what I miss.
You know when I sing in tune and when I don’t.
You know the rhythms of my body and when I’m out of synch.
You know my anger and my anxiety,
What keeps me awake at night
And what causes me to doze off in meetings.

When I’m feeling alive
and creativity is pouring out of me,
then you dance with me.
When I’m feeling dead
and despair is seeping into me
then you curl up with me.
When anxiety freezes me
or anger makes my insides molten
you are alongside me.

As I walk round the park
You keep me company.
When I eat with friends
You break bread with us.
My breath is like a warm fog
That fills me lungs
And permeates every cell.
My skin is like a blanket,
A coat that defines
my insides and outsides.

Each cell has its role,
Its DNA, mitochondria and whatnot.
When a pain comes
Help me to respond equitably,
Accepting my body’s message
Without anger or undue anxiety.
May my breath praise you,
My heart beat for you
And my body rise to you.

JAL: 05/06.12.2009
After Psalm 139, at Gateways into Prayer.

Tree Planter

Cosmic Christ, growing up in a carpenter’s shop,
meeting you death on a cross of wood,
bless these trees, ‘whips’ they call them,
that they may shelter and feed
the birds and animals around us
and give you glory in every season.


JAL: 07.12.2009
For the trees planted at Silcoates on 05.12.2009

Dismal Day

Weep, city weep.
Weep stones and streets,
houses and alleys:
weep now.
Weep with the Weeping One.
Who knows what makes for peace?
He knows and shows
the way to peace
for this and every city.

JAL: 08.12.2009
For Luke 19 in the Yorkshire Gospels.


[1] Quoted in the Guardian, 05.12.2009

1 comment:

Jane said...

that bish up in Repton don't sound much fun
hope the walking is going well
I had an interesting visit from someone today and it made me feel a lot better about life put a smile on my lips and (almost) a spring in my step - will talk to you about it

Anyway love teh poetry - keep writing, keep sleeping and keep walking bisous

J